2023 – 2024 Flu Vaccine and COVID Vaccine
Hirsch Pediatrics now has the annual Flu and COVID vaccines available for all patients AND parents. Dr. Hirsch as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) strongly recommend that all eligible children and adults receive the annual flu and COVID vaccines.
- WALK-UP FLU AND COVID VACCINE CLINIC – NO APPOINTMENT REQUIRED (SEE CLINIC SCHEDULE BELOW)
- To ensure our families have easy and convenient access to the flu vaccine we will have multiple walk-up clinics with morning, afternoon, weekday, and weekend clinics!
- No appointment is needed.
- Parents, patients, and siblings may also receive the flu vaccine and COVID vaccine (if available) at their previously scheduled check-ups. Please send us a portal message if you are unable to make any of the upcoming vaccine clinics and do not have a check-up scheduled in the near future.
- For most families the flu vaccine and COVID vaccine should be covered in-network with either no insurance charge or with a deductible/co-pay depending on your insurance.
- You can receive the flu vaccine and COVID vaccine at the same visit.
SEPTEMBER WALK-IN VACCINE CLINICS (PATIENTS AND PARENTS)
- DONE – Saturday, September 23rd from 8 AM – 12 PM
- DONE – Monday, September 25th from 9 AM – 4 PM (closed 12-2) – NOTE: MCPS NO SCHOOL DAY
OCTOBER WALK-IN VACCINE CLINICS (PATIENTS AND PARENTS)
- DONE – Thursday, October 5th from 2 PM – 5 PM
- DONE – Monday, October 9th from 2 PM – 5 PM – NOTE: MCPS NO SCHOOL DAY
- DONE – Thursday, October 19th from 2 PM – 5 PM
- DONE – Saturday, October 28th from 9 AM – 12 PM
NOVEMBER WALK-IN VACCINE CLINCS (PATIENTS AND PARENTS)
- DONE – Wednesday, November 1st from 9 AM – 4 PM (closed 12-2) – NOTE: MCPS NO SCHOOL DAY
- DONE – Thursday, November 9th from 2 PM – 5 PM
- DONE – Thursday, November 16th from 2 PM – 5 PM
- DONE – Thursday, November 30th from 2 PM – 5 PM
DECEMBER WALK-IN VACCINE CLINICS (PATENTS AND PARENTS)
- will announce dates first week in December
FLU VACCINE FAQ’s
- Flu vaccine injection (quadrivalent preservative free) will be available.
- Flumist nasal vaccine will also be available in limited quantities. Please send us a message to verify availability if you want the nasal spray vaccine.
- Children ages 6 months through 8 years who have never received the flu vaccine before will need 2 doses separated by 1 month. Children who are at least 9 years old will only need 1 dose regardless of previous vaccination history.
- Parents of current patients can also receive the flu vaccine at Hirsch Pediatrics as an in-network benefit (usually covered at 100% by your insurance).
- Questions about why you should get the flu vaccine as well as typical side effects and risks? Click here for the CDC Flu Vaccine Information Statement.
COVID VACCINE FAQ’S
- Parents can also receive the annual COVID vaccine at Hirsch Pediatrics as an in-network benefit (usually covered at 100% by your insurance).
- If you or your child recently had COVID-19 we recommend waiting at least 90 days after the positive test to receive the COVID vaccine.
- Hirsch Pediatrics will be offering the COVID Pfizer vaccine. Note children age 6 months – 4 years who never received a Pfizer COVID vaccine before need 3 doses their first year.
- Note: Per current CDC guidelines children age 6 months – 4 years who previously received only Moderna COVID vaccines should only get a Moderna COVID annual vaccine and not the Pfizer vaccine unless there is an “exceptional circumstance where the Moderna vaccine is not available or the child would otherwise not complete the vaccination series.” The CDC vaccine finder has information on where you may be able to find Moderna vaccine for different ages.
- Dosing schedule for the Pfizer COVID vaccine for children age 6 months – 4 years:
- Dose 1 to dose 2 interval is 3-8 weeks (**longer interval at 6-8 weeks is preferred to increase effectiveness and decrease side effects**)
- Dose 2 to dose 3 interval is 8 weeks (age 6 months – 4 years)
- Additional COVID vaccine questions? These links have additional vaccine answers and safety information.
The Science Behind COVID-19 Vaccines: Parent FAQs and Common Parent Questions and Answers about COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 Vaccine Information Fact Sheet for Pfizer Vaccine (age 6 months to 11 years)
COVID-19 Vaccine Information (age 12+ years)